Monday, July 6, 2020

Tommy Roe - "Sheila" (1962)

I don't think this song has a chorus. There's a contrasting part that repeats, but it certainly doesn't feel like a chorus to me. Has more of an exploratory feel. Someone might disagree with me. I think it gets away with no chorus because it has a refrain line at the end of the verses.

This song is complicated, structurally, while only taking two minutes and seven seconds. Here's a breakdown:

Four bar intro
A - Verse #1
A - Verse #2
B - Bridge
A - Verse #3
Repeat intro
A - Verse #2 repeat
B - Bridge repeat
A - Verse #3 repeat
Vamp for outro (with fadeout)

If you can remember the correct sequencing of these ten events, Tommy will take you on the road with the band.

One of my favorite things about this song is the plagal cadences (IV - I) at the end of Verse #2, both times you hear it, and at the end of the bridge. The bridge cadence is the only time in the song where bass player Bob Moore plays a note other than the root of the chord. Given that you've got a bar on the I before the bridge ends, Moore plays root-root-fifth-fifth to give something akin to a sense of transition even as the chord stays the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment